The report is prepared on the basis of 1.5 month practical experience at EXIM Bank that helps a lot to learn about the practical situation of a financial institution and implement theoretical knowledge in to practical and realistic work environment.
The whole working process of EXIM Bank is divided into 3 sections i.e. general banking section, credit section and foreign exchange section. This report has been presented based on observation from foreign exchange section. Foreign exchange department plays various roles through providing different services for the customers. So this report focuses on the foreign exchange services of EXIM Bank Ltd, Imamgong Branch.
Origin of the Report
This report is originated as the course requirement of MBA Program.in the Department of Finance, University of Dhaka. Only a lot of theoretical knowledge will be little important unless it is applicable in the practical life. As practical orientation is integral part of MBA program requirement, I was assigned to the EXIM Bank Limited, Imamgong Branch for 1.5-months to complete the internship program and to take the real life exposure of the activities of banking from 1st February, 2009 to 15th March, 2009 .
Objectives of the Report
- To get practical exposure to organizational environment
- To understand the system and methodology adopted in conducting day to day banking by EXIM Bank
- To observe the foreign exchange operation of EXIM Bank Ltd and their services.
- To get an overall idea of banking from banker’s point of view.
- To review the techniques used by the bank to make it lucrative.
- An analysis and discussion of foreign exchange services of the bank.
- To evaluate of the present performance of the bank regarding foreign exchange.
- To search the problems of this branch of EXIM Bank Bangladesh Ltd
- Determining the drawbacks of the existing foreign exchange system.
- Recommending some guidelines to improve the effectiveness of foreign exchange services.
To meet the objectives of the study I realized that a single method would not be effective. Formal and oral discussion, direct observation, questioning clients and printed papers of the bank were found useful.
Aspects of Analysis
The aspects to analyze the foreign exchange transactions of the bank are
- Import and
In this report, different transactions related to export, import and foreign remittance are analyzed in respect of
- Volume/ Quantity and
Criteria for Analysis
The main criteria of this report is
- To find out whether the value of all indicator or variables related to foreign exchange show any increasing or decreasing trend. An increase of these transactions indicates that the bank is expanding its services and performing better.
- To evaluate the present performance of the bank in foreign exchange transactions, a comparison of foreign exchange transactions of the bank with those of other private banks have been made in this report.
Indicators or Variables of Analysis
Indicators used and variables in the report are
- Number of Letter of Credit opening
- Irrevocable Letter of Credit
- Commission on Foreign Exchange
- Volume of Import
- Back-to-Back L/C
- Foreign documentary Bills for Purchase
- Export Finance
- Volume of Export
- Foreign Currency Deposit etc
- Exchange Gain
- Foreign Remittance.
Framework of Analysis
The evaluation of the EXIM Bank’s performance in foreign exchange transactions has been conducted based on the trend analysis and factor analysis.
- Trend Analysis: It indicates the changes in the level of progress and growth over the last five years starting from 2003.
- Factor analysis: In this report some factors that affect export, import and foreign remittance related transactions have been analyzed
- Comparative Analysis: A comparison of recent performance in foreign exchange transactions of EXIM Bank with those of other private banks have been made in this report.
Source of Information
The report was fully investigative in nature. Data have been collected from two sources:
- Primary sources
- Secondary sources
- Interview: Face to face conversation with the respective officers and stuff of the branch and head office help me collect information.
- Practical work experience: Working in the different desk of the branch I collect some information that make the report informative.
- Case Study: In depth-study of selected cases helps me to collect information.
- Group Discussion: Group discussion with other internee of the branch and my classmates is another way to make me informative.
- Website of the EXIM Bank Ltd
- Several books and periodicals related to the banking sector.
- Bangladesh Bank’s report
- Different circular sent by the head office of EXIM Bank
- Various documentary file and prior research report of EXIM Bank.
- Annual Budget of EXIM Bank
- Annual Report 2007 of EXIM Bank and other private banks.
Data Collecting Method
The internship report has been prepared all the basis of “on the job” experience with the EXIM Bank Bangladesh Limited, Imamgonj branch. In spite of the scarcity of published data, it has been tried to make the report informative and handy. The data used in the report have been complied through different complicated ways- direct questionnaire to executives, continuous search on the ongoing accountants’, and interview with internal auditor and external auditors’ report. Working with the organization for a meager period of two month is the main aspect of acquiring data and information to evaluate the culture, working environment and similar sort of affair of the organization
Reliability of Collecting Data
The data collected are highly reliable in the sense that all data generated in the report are used exclusively by the EXIM Bank. The auditors’ report on the financial statements and the correspondence with different desks generate the reliable information to compose the report successfully.
Types of Study
There are mainly three different types of researches such as I) Exploratory Research, ii) Descriptive Research, and iii) Causal Research. After doing all the research work and analyze all those I have found that I have done the following type of research.
- Descriptive Research: In this report I tried to identify the real problems, operation and issue that are analyzed in a descriptive manner and also focus on findings and recommendations.
Limitation of the Study
The present study was not out of limitations. But as an internee it was a great opportunity for me to know the banking activities in Bangladesh especially of EXIM Bank. Some constraints are appended bellow:
- Lack of Information or Data: Adequate and in-depth well-organized information is not available for access. Though the officials tried to assist, sometimes their working pressure couldn’t give me proper assistance what I needed. There is some information which need special permission from top level is not always achievable.
- Time Constraint: It is something like impossible to cover the entire foreign exchange banking services and performance phenomena exploiting a two month time period while an employee or an officer is awarded with one or two year probationary period to do his or her particular job.
- Confidentiality of Information: Some of the information needed to explore the current marker scenario of the company was not disclosed.
- Comparison Status: I have had no opportunity to compare the foreign exchange banking system of the EXIM Bank with that of other contemporary and common size banks. I had compared the banks that information is available. It was mainly because of the shortage of time and internship nature.
- Lack of Experience: Though I have prepared many reports before, I had no experience of internship. So inexperience is one of the main constraints of the study.
The report is mainly consist of seven parts:
Chapter-1: Orientation of the report:. The first chapter of the report describes the introductory words of the internship report and methodology used in the preparation of the report.
Chapter-2 : An Overview of Organization: It will describe the historical background of EXIM Bank Ltd; it’s objectives, mission, company profile, performance etc.
Chapter-3: Foreign Exchange:Theoretical Aspect: In this part I have presented the fundamental analysis of bank services in foreign exchange of the EXIM Bank in theoretical Aspect.
Chapter-4 & 5: Performance Evaluation of the Bank: In this chapter I have critically done a comparison between the performance of EXIM Bank Ltd and other private banks.
Chapter-6: Conclusion and Recommendation: This part will contain the critics of the foreign exchange services of EXIM Bank Ltd, which I have found in my 8 weeks working experience at bank and findings and recommendations of the problems.
Incorporation of Organization
EXIM Bank Limited was established in 1999 under the leadership of Late Mr. Shahjahan Kabir, founder chairman who had a long dream of floating a commercial bank that would contribute to the socio-economic development of our country. A group of highly qualified and successful entrepreneurs joined their hands with the founder chairman to materialize his dream. This bank starts functioning from 3rd August 1999 with Mr. Alamgir Kabir, FCA as the Advisor and Mr. Mohammad Lakiotullah as the Managing Director. Both of them have long experience in the financial sector of our country. By their pragmatic decision and management directives in the operational activities, this bank has earned a secured and distinctive position in the banking industry in terms of performance, growth, and excellent management. The bank has migrated all of its conventional banking operation into Shariah based Islami banking since July/2004.
Mission and Vision of EXIM Bank
The efforts of EXIM Bank Limited are focused on delivery of quality service in all areas of banking activities with the aim to add to increased value to shareholders investment and offer highest possible benefits to the customers.
- To be the most caring and customer friendly and service oriented banks.
- To create a technology based most efficient banking environment for its customers.
- To ensure ethics and transparency in all levels.
- To ensure sustainable growth and establish full value of the honorable shareholders and
- Above all, to add effective contribution to the national economy
The Theme of the bank’s vision is ‘Together Toward Tomorrow’. Export Import Bank of Bangladesh believes in togetherness with its customers, in its march on the road to growth and progress with services.
Corporate Information’s at a Glance
EXIM Bank AtA Glance
|Name of the Bank:||EXIM Bank of Bangladesh Limited|
|Status:||Public Limited Company|
|Date of Incorporation:||2nd June 1999.|
|Date of Commencement:||August 03, 1999|
|Listing with Dhaka Stock Exchange:||
|Listing with Chittagong Stock Exchange:||September 2004.|
|Head Office:||Printers Buildings (5th, 6th & 10th floor|
|Telex:||642527 EXM HO BJ|
|Chairman:||Mr. Md. Nazrul Islam Mazumder.|
|Managing Director:||Mr. Kazi Mashiur Rahman|
|Authorized Capital:||Tk. 1000.00 million (3500 million in 2007)|
|Paid-up-Capital:||Tk. 1713..57 million (2142.19 million in 2007)|
|Shareholder’s Equity:||Tk. 3111.68 million|
|Operating Profit:||Tk. 355.02 million|
|Total Asset:||Tk. 38,442.64 million|
|Number of Employees:||1020 Persons|
|Number of Shareholders:||15395 no|
|Number of Branches:||35|
Corporate culture of EXIM Bank:
EXIM Bank is one of the most disciplined banks with a distinctive corporate culture. The bank believes in shared meaning, shared understanding and shared sense making. People can see and understand events, activities, objects and situation in a distinctive way. They mould their manners and etiquette, character individually to suit the purpose of the bank and the needs of the customers who are of paramount importance to us. The people in the bank see themselves as a tight knit team/family that believes in working together for growth. The corporate culture the bank belongs has not been imposed; it has rather been achieved through its corporate conduct.
Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) of EXIM Bank:
The purpose of its banking business is, obviously, to earn profit, but the promoters and the equity holders are aware of their commitment to the society to which they belong. A chunk of the profit is kept aside and/or spent for socio-economic development through trustee and in patronization of art, culture and sports of the country. In past recent years the bank has supported the poor and meritorious students for smoothen their education. In 2007 about 80 students of different institutions like (DU, BUET, DMC, VNC, and NDC) have taken scholarship. The bank sponsored the “Beautificatio n Project” of Dhaka mega city conducted by Dhaka City Corporation.
It is a great pleasure that by the grace of Almighty Allah, The bank has migrated at a time all the branches from its conventional banking operation into Shariah based Islami banking operation without any trouble. The officers and executives of bank motivated the valued customers by counseling and persuasion in light with the spirit of Islam especially for the non-Muslim customers. IT division has done the excellent job of converting and fitting the conventional business processes into the processes based on Shariah. It has been made possible by following a systematic procedure of migration under the leadership of honorable Managing Director.
As a commercial bank, EXIM Bank provides all traditional banking services including a wide range of savings and investment scheme products, foreign exchange and ancillary services with the support of modern technology and professional management. But the main stress is, as the name implies, put on export and import trade handling & financing and the bank has become the pioneer in promoting ready made garment industries and one of the largest financiers in this sector. Since inspection, the bank foresighted the bright prospects of this sector and extended finance to the deserving and promising entrepreneurs. It provides this sector with financial support including market information and advice and today the garment sector constitute the lion portion of the total export of the company.
Divisions of EXIM Bank
EXIM Bank conducts its various activities by its some functional division. The following chart shows the functional division of EXIM Bank.
Readymade Garment Division
Human Resources Division
Investment (Share) Division
Treasury Operation Division
Information Technology Division
Credit Card Division
Research & Development
Committee & GroupDivision
Figure: 2.1 Functional Structure of EXIM Bank