Origin of the Report
As a part of our academic curriculum, it is my privilege to have some practical orientation on the theoretical topics covered in the classroom. The internship is entirely based on practical situations. To provide us with a practical orientation of the internship, Md. Abul Kashem, Assistant Professor, Dhaka University and instructor of this internship has assigned me the task to prepare a report, also analyzed this report as per the instruction of our honorable faculty.
The objectives of the study are to:
- To give an overview of Call Center. Why Call Center business comes in Bangladesh?
- Describe the Call Center licensing guideline which policy was approved by BTRC and how an entrepreneur collects a call center license?
- To provide a concept about technical solution of call center setup.
- Call Center business investment with SWOT analysis and challenges to set up a call center.
- Survey will conduct different types of Call Centre entrepreneurs, employees, IT personnel’s, and BTRC consultants.
- Business Organizations involved in Hosted Call Center (AMW Net), Call Center (Legato Service Limited, Prothom-alo, One Call, Softak (Pvt) Limited etc) and Hosted Call Center service provider (Imam Networks), BTRC, Call Center technical solution vendors (Huawei, Ericsson) are considered for this study.
- The report is based on a theoretical framework in combination with empirical investigations.
- Information is collected from interview with entrepreneurs, personnel’s, call centre specialist, seminar, and discussion methods with the related persons directly, web site and other references.
The study is not free from some practical limitations. Following limitations were faced during the study and the time of working & data collection:
- Due to time constrain all available methods and models could not be verified and evaluated.
- Work load during the internship program at the work place was also a barrier to prepare this report.
- Due to the confidentiality concern much detailed information could not be retrieved.
CHAPTER 2:Overview of Call Centre
Call Center: A phone center that can handle inbound & outbound services like, customer service, product query, technical support, market survey, promotion, customer care, reservation , customer return visit, etc.
As an organization enabling the interaction between enterprises and customers, Enterprise Call Center (hereinafter referred to as the call center) is a functional entity that supports customer services, sales, and market promotion through different Communication channels such as telephones, faxes, Email, Web, and VoIP. It is based on Compute Telephony Integration and integrates multiple technologies of the telecommunication network, computer network, and information field. It is a comprehensive information service system for enterprises. The call center can provide multiple services with quality and efficiency for customers, thus reducing the cost and increasing the profit of the enterprises.
A call centre is often operated through an extensive open workspace for call centre agents, with work stations that include a computer for each agent, a telephone set/headset connected to a telecom switch, and one or more supervisor stations. It can be independently operated or networked with additional centers, often linked to a corporate computer network, including mainframes, microcomputers and LANs. Increasingly, the voice and data pathways into the centre are linked through a set of new technologies called computer telephony integration (CTI).
Most major businesses use call centers to interact with their customers. Examples include utility companies, mail order catalogue firms, and customer support for computer hardware and software. Some businesses even service internal functions through call centers. Examples of this include help desks and sales support.
Call centre staff are often organized into a multi-tier support system for a more efficient handling of calls. The first tier in such a model consists of operators, who direct inquiries to the appropriate department and provide general directory information. If a caller requires more assistance, the call is forwarded to the second tier, where most issues can be resolved. In some cases, there may be three or more tiers of support staff. If a caller requires more assistance, the caller is forwarded to the third tier of support; typically the third tier of support is formed by product engineers/developers or highly skilled technical support staff of the product.
The call center is a structure that is for the corporations to communicate with customers by advanced communication technology. It realizes customer services, sales and market deployment by telephone, fax, Email, Web, VoIP and so on.
The call center is developed based on the computer telephony integration (CTI) technology. Integrated with the technologies of communication network, computer network and the information area, the call center becomes a comprehensive information service system combined with corporations. The call center can provide various services for users with qualified, efficient and comprehensive features to reduce the cost and increase the benefit.
The parts of the call center include automatic call distributor (ACD), interactive voice response (IVR) system, CTI server, manual agent, database server, management platform and so on. The extended parts develop as the development of the call center technologies, including the Web server, Email server, fax server, IP telephony network and so on, as shown in the following figures.
ACD — automatic call distributor:
ACD distributes calls from customers to the most suitable service representatives according to certain algorithms. Every agent must have an unique pin number, using those pin numbers agent can login into system then he is facilitate to answer inbound and outbound calls. Different kinds of call centre solution provider provide different feature and facilities software which is integrated with ACD. Like as Ericsson Solidous e-care, Huawei ACD products are in the form of uniform access platforms (UAP).
CTI — computer telephony integration:
CTI provides software control and hardware support for the realization of the call center service. It can realize functions such as page displaying, voice coordination and data transmission, custom call routing, and automatic dialing etc.
IVR — interactive voice response:
IVR provides voice navigation, voice response, and the recording function for customers who put through to the call center. Now a day it acts as a virtual call centre. People call a common call centre number then IVR receives that call hear different kings of services as per customer requirements. If customer is satisfied that services the customer disconnect the call, otherwise for more information customer contact to the contact centre agents.
Classification of call center
As per Operation:
Call Centre can be classified as per operation into 4 ways. Those as follows:
In house call center
Outsource call centers
Inbound call centers
Outbound call centers
- In-house call center:
An in-house call center is a department or division of a company, that provides call center services for that company, they do not do work for other companies. The chief advantage of having an in-house call center is that direct control can be given to the call center, the agents, and what say and do.
An in-house call center can be either a cost-center or a profit-center. Call centers that are cost centers (that is, they do not generate enough revenue to cover their expenses and need to be subsidized by the company) usually find themselves in an ongoing fight for their continued existence. This is not an ideal situation, as the call center could have its budget reduced or eliminated with each fiscal year or economic downturn.
Figure: Call Centre Matrix as per operation
A call center that is a profit centre generates sales or business activity that more than covers its own operating expenses. Therefore, it is much more immune to threats of elimination or budget reduction; as such a move would have a ripple effect throughout the company.
In our country some foreign joint venture and group of company started their in-house call centre services to satisfy their customer needs, like as – Grameen Phone, Aktel, Banglalink, Citycell, Warid Telecom, Standard Chartered Bank, Eastern Bank limited and Brac bank etc. By this call centre they earn more profit, not only providing their product services but also they provider services for human needs (eg.- Medical services) .
- Outsource call centers:
For many small, medium and large businesses outsourcing a call center is an excellent way to generate sales and help current customers with technical support and customer support issues. While some larger companies have the money, time and resources to put in place their own call center, most smaller and mid sized businesses for a streamline approach to call centers and choose to outsource their call center needs.
Benefit of Outsourcing Call Center
- Avoid massive cost on system building, training, operation management.
- Concentrate on core business, promote competition ability.
- Service scale adjustment.
- Best service with least cost.
- Technique keep advanced.
- Industrial experience data shows: Outsourcing can save build cost by 50% and increase operation efficiency and quality by 15%. 85% of the Global 500 companies put more attention on key marketing using outsourcing contact center.
- Inbound call centers:
An inbound call is one that a customer initiates to a call center or contact center. A help desk handles inbound calls as well, although calls may be made from employees rather than customers. A call center may handle either inbound or outbound calls exclusively or might deal with a combination of the two.
Inbound call center agent performance is measured according to several metrics, including first call resolution (FCR), average handle time (AHT) and time in queue. Inbound call centers sometimes stipulate service goals the center will work toward in a service-level agreement (SLA).
Today’s inbound call center agents often communicate with customers through email and chat as well as telephone calls. For outsource, inbound call center is more profitable then outbound call centre.
- Outbound call centers:
An outbound call center is one in which call center agents make outbound calls to customers on behalf of a business or client. Calls made from the center can include telemarketing, sales or fund-raising calls, as well as calls for contact list updating, surveys or verification services.
A call center may handle either outbound or inbound calls exclusively or might deal with a combination of the two. An outbound call center uses distinct metrics to measure agent success, such as cost per call, revenue earned, total calls made and tasks completed.
As per BTRC:
To provide call centre license and run business in Bangladesh BTRC divided call centre into the following categories:-
- Call Center
- Hosted Call Center
- Hosted Call Center Service Provider
- i. Call Center: “Call Center (CC)” means which have own infrastructure like as- Call Detail Records (CDR), Disaster Recovery Center (DRC), International Private Leased Circuit (IPLC) connection, Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG), Point of Presence (PoP), Virtual Private Network (VPN), Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) connectivity and agents. And there is no connection from CC to HCC or CC to HCCSP.
- ii. Hosted Call Centre: “Hosted Call Center (HCC)” means call center which does not have any infrastructure other than call center agents. The infrastructural facility will be provided from the Hosted Call Center Service Provider (HCCSP).
- Hosted Call Centre Service Provider: “Hosted Call Center Service provider (HCCSP)” means service provider who provides the required infrastructure services to the Hosted Call Center operator.
Connectivity between HCCSP and HCC has been shown below:
Figure: HCC using infrastructure from HCCSP
Call Center vs Contact Center
‘Call Centers’ – which only use telephony media. Call Center technologies continue to advance, and integrated voice, fax, email, SMS.
‘Contact Centers’ – which allows serving, customers through a variety of media: voice, video, email, fax, VoIP, IM, SMS, Web.
Domestic Call Center Vs International Call Center
- Domestic call center required E1 connectivity from local telecom.
- While International Call Center required International Private Lease Circuit (IPLC) or IP connectivity.
- Domestic Call Center requires Media Gateway or E1 equipment that would cost higher than International IP Call Center.
Some Call Center Services
At Personalized Communications we incorporate technology and professionalism all in one. Our call center strives to offer our clients the latest in technology for your entire call center outsourcing needs. With everything from our live phone answering service and help desk to our web enabled technology we can accommodate your company by incorporating a custom package to your exact specifications.
Our 24×7 live answering service and web-enabled solutions are tailored to your company’s exact needs including our live Internet operators and live receptionists for appointment taking, seminar registrations, order taking services and so much more. Personalized Communications answering services offer the latest in technology to build smart solutions with worry free capabilities tailored for you. Our live answering service will cover any volume of call flows or online services with prompt courteous operators. Some of our current call center services include; medical and legal answering services for doctors and lawyers, order taking answering service for catalog & retail companies, seminar registration, Internet answering service and so much more.
Inbound Telemarketing and Order Center Services
Inbound telemarketing services personalized to ensure your satisfaction let our operators take your orders and schedule appointments. Our operators can make those important executive contact calls for your business. Give your business a fortune 500 look and feel making you stand out in your field. Personalized Communications can tailor a program dynamically suited to your businesses inbound telemarketing call center needs. Our state of the art technology with the most current hardware and call center software puts us ahead of others in the call center industry. Through call center outsourcing your business we will be able to provide your customers with Prompt, courteous, knowledgeable telecommunications professionals at the other end of your toll free number.
Technology enhanced flexibility and a highly skilled staff of professional operators and call center management staff in our state of the art call center both working together utilizing live operators or electronic voicemail with live operator assistance when prompted will give your customers personal attention that we pride ourselves on at Personalized Communications making order entry uniform and efficient for your business as well as providing a consistent level of customer service time and time again.
Our inbound telemarketing call center services include: 24 hour seven day a week response and order taking, internet order taking, internet answering services, internet order delivery, web call center, credit card verification and authorization online, customer service and product registration, dealer locate services, seminar registration and more.
Our call center management team will follow leads to determine advertising sources that best fit your business. We will train operator’s specific to all your outsourcing needs.
You have no equipment to buy; our telecommunications specialists will handle all the details for you. Consult with our call center team to begin your journey into the new millennium of your company’s telecommunications expectations through efficient customer service based call center management.
Innovative cost saving solutions will keep you connected to your customers and increase your bottom line.
To obtain your no obligation free personalized program consultation and proposal contact Personalized Communications today.
Professional Business Image for your Company
Imagine worry free sales controlled by you. Call center solutions for any size business in need of telemarketing service management. Your call center outsourcing needs will be carefully examined and a personalized package will be formed especially for your business environment.
Once your company personalized communications package is implemented, our highly trained staff of communication professionals will provide a consistent and efficient way for your company to meet the demand of high volume call center activity.
Live Inbound Call Center
Your customers will appreciate a live answering service from your company. Whether it is technical support help desk or credit card verification your customers will be happier to hear a pleasant professional voice.
Our inbound call center solution is your doorway to a larger client base. Offering web call center services, Internet answering services, Client Web accessed-mail and Fax capabilities for your business. There is no limit to your business communication as there once was.
Take a step ahead of your competitors call center with instant expansion. Consider our call center as an extension of your company. Let our expertise and technology shine for you.
Medical Call Center Services
Personalized Communications is your complete one-stop medical call center solution, providing health care professionals with a comprehensive array of integrated web and telephone based services accessed through a universal point-of-entry. From Live or Automated Telephone Answering Service with Guaranteed Message Delivery to Physician Referral and Real Time Appointment Scheduling, Personalized Communications continues to innovate and maintain its leadership position within the Medical Communication industry. Let us support your organization through its comprehensive menu of Medical Communications services.
Live Answering Services
Day or night, when your patients and associates call it is essential that the person they speak with conveys the feeling that their needs are being addressed by a knowledgeable, concerned member of your staff. Utilizing the most advanced computer-based applications in the industry, our professional telephone agents represent your company as if they worked in your office, answer all of your calls promptly in your personalized answer phrase and are equipped to address your caller’s issues.
CHAPTER 3:Why Call Center in Bangladesh?
Why Call Center in Bangladesh?
In Bangladesh Call Center is totally new market and business concept with a huge potential opportunity. So find the business opportunities we have to know our strength and have to find out “Why Bangladesh?” The following points are considered to become call centre business in Bangladesh.
- Efficient Human Resource from Bangladesh:
It is very well known that Bangladesh is the country where the most attractive resource is ‘Human’. We can offer highly skilled and educated workforce because of our increasing number of Universities and training industries. Our training industries are successful for preparing the efficient manpower for the Call Center.
- Location of our call center:
We have the location advantage because of the 11 hour time difference with the USA. For the time zone advantage American, West European and Asia Pacific’s organizations can enjoy 24 hours customer service round the week.
- Limited Cost:
In spite of the lowest cost of manpower, Bangladesh can provide the Call Center Service in cheap rate. Today we also have a vast amount of educated people from inside or outside of the country in IT sector and they are ready to serve at a very minimum cost rather than the rest of the world.
- Appropriate Government’s Policy:
The Government of Bangladesh offers the tax free import policy for the IT sectors that will able to create a wide range of opportunity for the establishment of Call Center. The Government’s Policy also suitable for continuing the business for long run and they always welcome the foreign investors to our country without any hesitation.
Our low tariff on communication sectors will add an extra advantage for the Call Center business. Here we can easily run a business like this and the whole infrastructure of our country will encourage us directly.
- High Potentiality:
Bangladesh is the country where the potentiality of IT related business is very high. Our comparative advantage is successful for get the attention of the multinational organizations.
How many jobs from US are moving offshore?
Source: U.S Department of Labor and Forrester Research, Inc, 2008.
International Competitive Market
- Strong Competition (Already Market Leader)
- Future Competitors (Trying to hit the global market)
World Market Scenario
Figure: World Market Scenario of Call Centre Business.
Data source: Md. Kamruzzaman, Junior Consultant, BTRC. 2008.
Indian Call Center Scenario:
- Indian IT industry contribution to India’s GDP by Business Process Outsourcing (BPO): Estimated for Financial Year 2007: 5.4% — Financial Year 2006: 4.8% and exports of BPO services: 2006: 13% GBP — expected 2010: 30% GBP [BBC Jan 07]
- Number of people employed in overall IT industry in India (end 2006): 1.3 million directly — 3 million indirectly [BBC Jan 07]
Job growth in the BPO sector when compared to other sectors:
Data Soucrce: Mr. Fazle Munim, Director IT, KKAIROS, India. Prothom Alo Call Center
Investment Opportunity Seminar, 30th May, 2008
Philippine Call Center Scenario:
- In 2004, the Philippines already captured 20 percent of the total world market share in contact center services. The Philippine government estimates the Philippines could capture 50 percent of the total world English-speaking market in 2008.
- This industry, aside from contributing 12 percent in to the Philippines gross national product, is also the fastest growing provider for Filipino college graduates.
- According to industry forecasts, more than a million Filipinos would be employed in the call center industry, with more than US$12 billion in revenues in the year 2010.
- The Philippines is also considered as location of choice due to its less expensive operational and labor costs.
- The country offers 24/7 multilingual and multimedia supported premium services for marketing, sales, customer care, crisis management, investor relations and other key business applications.
- The reasons cited for the bullish outlook towards the Philippines have been, among others, due to lower operating costs, English language proficiency and high ICT skills yet low-cost workforce.
- The Philippines is considered a major player in the global BPO market. In 2005, the country ranked in the top 10 world wide for top BPO destinations, according to neoIT’s 2005 Mapping Offshore Markets Update.
Data Soucrce: Mr. Fazle Munim, Director IT, KKAIROS, India. Prothom Alo Call Center
Investment Opportunity Seminar, 30th May, 2008
Pakistan Call Center Scenario:
- Pakistan’s tele-density is 13.67 by the end of November 2005 as compared to 6.25 in 2004.
- Pakistan produces 5,500 IT graduates every year.
- Cost per E-1 connection (2MB) in Pakistan is US$ 2000 per month.
- There are 12 Long Distance & International (LDI) and 18 WLL licensed operators in Pakistan.
- There are 18,400,233+ (18 Million+) cellular service subscribers in Pakistan.
- Pakistan has a cellular density of 11.95.
Nepal & Srilanka Call Center Scenario:
- They started their journey recently, where Nepal is working with language processing and Srilanka in working with software development
- They have faced language barrier and skilled Human Resources in operational excellency.
Bangladesh Call Center Scenario:
- The government of Bangladesh and entrepreneurs try to keep 1 % of world call center business market.
- To fulfill this issue government heartily try to create a call center business environment.
Different Types of Services Being Offered By Business Process
- Customer/ Technical Support Services
- Telemarketing Services
- Employee IT Help-desk Services
- Insurance Processing
- Data Entry Services / Data Processing Services
- Data Conversion Services
- Scanning, OCR with Editing & Indexing Services
- Book Keeping and Accounting Services
- Form Processing Services
- Internet / Online / Web Research
How can Bangladesh participant in the market?
First, let’s see what is the requirement of customer?
They are looking for a cheaper way to provide customer service. Example: Microsoft, Intel.
Nationwide Small & Medium Enterprise
They don’t have so much money to build call center for customer service themselves, to save money, they are thinking to rent some agent from Hosting Call Center Service provider. Sometimes, they even don’t hire the CSR, all the service will be provided by HCCSP. Besides customer service, they also want to do some investigation, marketing activity.
Nationwide Big Enterprise
Normally, they can build call center for customer service themselves, because they are not scare of money and considering the safety reason.
Subscribers are looking for a way to get information
Example, subscriber can dial 111 to search phone number, dial 112 to book ticket, dial 113 to get cricket newest news. It is an information center.
CHAPTER 5:Technical Solution ofCall Center
Technology Development of the Call Center
For years of development, the call center has developed from the previous simple call center to the present customer contact center. From the perspective of developing stages, the development of the call center is as follows:
The first generation of the call center: this is the original stage of the call center. This is also called hotline service. In this stage, the customer can make consultancies or complaints to service agents of corporations only by dialing the fixed numbers. The feature of the first generation call center is that the hardware devices are common telephones or small switches. The devices are simple and cheap with simple functions and the automatic level is low.
Figure: The very old way and the very new way of Call Center operation.
The second generation of the call center: the feature is using the computer technology, for example, realizing the share of the database technology by the local area network (LAN) technology. The automatic voice response is to reduce the working load of agents and also reduce the errors. The ACD is used to balance the callings of agents, reduce the calling loss rate and improve the customer satisfaction rate.
The third generation call center: the use of the CTI technology changes the call center completely. Before the callings of customers are answered, the CTI technology provides the customer information, history, resource conditions and so on. Thus, the calling can be transferred to the proper service agent and can reduce the transferred times to improve the personalized services.
The fourth generation call center: as the development of the Internet, NGN and the third generation (3G) mobile communications, the voice over IP (VOIP), Web, email, wireless application protocol (WAP) and short message service (SMS) methods are commonly used. Thus, the call center supports various media such as telephone, fax, Web, email, WAP and SMS. The call center of this stage becomes the multimedia contact center.
IP Call Center: Which is a multimedia contact center based on soft switch, meets the development of the All over IP network and supports the integrated access of the multimedia such as voice, data and video.
A simple or Traditional Call Center
The call center is a structure that is for the corporations to communicate with customers by advanced communication technology. It realizes customer services, sales and market deployment by telephone, fax, Email, Web, VoIP and so on. The call center is developed based on the computer telephony integration (CTI) technology. Integrated with the technologies of communication network, computer network and the information area, the call center becomes a comprehensive information service system combined with corporations. The call center can provide various services for users with qualified, efficient and comprehensive features to reduce the cost and increase the benefit. The parts of the call center include automatic call distributor (ACD), interactive voice response (IVR) system, CTI server, manual agent, database server, management platform and so on. The extended parts develop as the development of the call center technologies, including the Web server, Email server, fax server, IP telephony network and so on. The basic call center network diagram are as follows
Figure: Call Center Network Diagram
Functions of the devices
IPLC: IPLC means International point to point private leased circuit.
ACD (Automatic Call Distributor):
According to a certain distribution algorithm, the ACD distributes the callings of the customers to the most suitable service agent in the service group.
IVR (Interactive Voice Response):
IVR provides the voice navigation, voice response and recording functions for the customers who have accessed the call center already.
CTI (Computer Telephony Integration):
The CTI provides the software control and hardware support for the call center to realize the functions of prompt screen, coordinating voice and data transmission, personalized call routing, automatic dialing and so on.
This processes potential contacts and identifies disconnected numbers, busy signals, and unanswered calls and detects answering machines.
This logs the conversation of all agents which can be used to check the quality of all agents.
Used to connect the IPLC at both the ends. Now a days most of the call centres are migrating to IP network, hence usage of the MUXs are minimal and routers are needed to connect the IPLC on both ends of the link.
Call Centre Management Software:
Software to manage the calls & reporting.
This is also referred as backbone.
Connection of HCC:
IP Call Centre (IPCC) Solution
IPCC provides integrated solutions based on the fixed network, NGN, and the mobile network, such as 2G and 3G. Customers can enjoy services easily through voice, email, Web, WAP, MMS and so on. The system supports universal contact management, ensuring the same services for multiple access media and enhancing the customer satisfaction and loyalty. The following figure shows the architecture of Imam Network IPCC.
Figure: TopEng IPCC Architecture
Each layer of this architecture uses a protocol and API encapsulating as the interface, which separates the layer from each other. The lower layer, where the service system is located, is flexible; the higher layer, where the access system and CTI system are located, is fixed. Thanks to the multi-layer design, the changes of the lower layer do not affect the higher layer. And the functionality on the lower layer extends with the scaling of the higher layer.
(1) The access system supports multimedia access. The components include ACD, SoftACD, WEB Server and MSP Server. They ensure the powerful networking capability. C&C08-Q ACD supports legacy TDM voice access; The UAP8100
(SoftACD) supports the convergence access of wideband and narrowband. The WECC supports Internet access. The MSP server supports access of mobile services, such as SMS, MMS and WAP.
(2) The CTI system controls call, manages routers and resource and so on. It submits the traffic required for the service to the system.
(3) The service system is responsible for realizing the specific services. These service solutions include customer care, multimedia outbound dialing, information service and outsource contact center. The service system can be customized to meet personalized requirements.
(4) The enterprise back-office refers to the peripheral systems of the multimedia contact center. The service system can not be achieved without the support of the back-end systems. The service system achieves seamless integration with the back-end systems through the Socket protocol, SOAP, middleware (such as Tuxedo, CICS) or the EAI platform.
Network Structure of IPCC
A contact center network consists of the central site and the remote site. The network serves both as the voice network and as the data network. The equipment on the central site includes SoftACD, IVR, CTI, the outbound system, the service system and the database system. In the case of UAP8100 as the access system, the remote agent is achieved through the IP agent (IP soft phone, IP phone or IAD), as shown in the following figure.
Figure 1-3 Network Topology of TopEng IPCC
Description of main equipment as below:
a) SoftACD: adopts the UAP.
b) The IVR system: adopts the UAP8100. The IVR functionality is built in. And the existing resource such as VP is reused through E1.
c) The IVR server: adopts the PC server (Win2000) or minicomputer (IBM or HP). Based on the specific size of the contact center, the proper quantity of servers is chosen to realize load balancing.
d) The CTI/CCS system: adopts the PC server (Win2000) or minicomputer (IBM or HP). It is arranged in a duplicated configuration. Based on the specific size of the contact center, it can be either distributed or centralized.
e) The voice file server: adopts the PC server (Win2000) or minicomputer (IBM or HP). Based on the specific size, the proper quantity of servers is chosen to realize load-balancing. Disk array and SAN storage LAN are used for storage. The tape library is optional, including products from IBM, HP and ADIC. The backup software is optional, including the products from VERITAS.
f) The outbound server: adopts the PC server (Win2000) or minicomputer (IBM or HP). Based on the specific size, the proper quantity of servers is chosen to realize load-balancing.
g) The Web server: adopts the PC server (Win2000) or minicomputer (IBM or HP) Based on the specific size, the proper quantity of servers is chosen to realize load-balancing.
h) The MSP server: adopts the PC server (Win2000) or minicomputer (IBM or HP) Based on the specific size, the proper quantity of servers is chosen to realize load-balancing.
i) The service system server: adopts the PC server (LINUX) or minicomputer (IBM or HP). The configuration is based on the specific service.
j) The database server: adopts the PC server or minicomputer (IBM or HP). The configuration is based on the specific service.
k) The database middleware: adopts the PC server (Win2000 or LINUX) or minicomputer (IBM or HP). The configuration is based on the specific service. The supported middleware is TUXDEO (BEA), and so on.
The details functions of the call center services
1. IPLC Connection:
– IPLC provides a dedicated, end-to-end digital link that runs from a location in Dhaka to any international location. With the help of IPLC, organizations can constantly exchange large volumes of data, voice, video, facsimile or even a combination of these data formats, between multiple points.
SEA-ME-WE4 Cable System Configuration:
2. UAP Access Processing Function
– Narrowband Call Access
– Broadband Call Access
– Supports Broadband/Narrowband Terminals
– Supports CTI Protocol
3. Media Resources Control Function
– Media Processing
– Playing Tones and Receiving Numbers
4. Voice Call Access
– Supports Multi-Number Access
– Supports IP Access
– Supports Caller Number Analysis
– Intelligent Matching of Called Party Number and Dialed Number
– Flexible Access Number
5. Multimedia Call Access
– Email Call Access
– Fax Call Access
– SMS Call Access
– WEB Access
– Unified Multimedia Queuing
6. Virtual Contact Center
– Logically Independent Contact Center Functions
– Unified Resources Management
– Supports up to 100 Virtual Contact Center
7. Basic Functions of Agents
– Busy State
– Idle State
– Internal Calls
– Seeking for Internal Help
– Call Forwarding
– Maintaining Calls/Canceling Maintaining Calls
– Maintaining Connection
– Three-party Call
– Outward Forwarding
– Busy Forwarding
Figure: Call Monitoring Status
8. Routing Processing
– Supports Setting of Multiple Agent Skills
– Routing Based on Preset Skills
– Intelligent Routing Based on Routing Script
– First Come, First Served
– First Being Idle, First Process
– Skill Queuing Setting
– Busy Queue Forwarding
– Queuing Timeout Release/Forwarding
– Queue Overflow Release/Forwarding
– Canceling Queuing
– Special User Queuing Priority
– Queuing Setting
– Changing from Queuing to Auto Process
– Playing Reply Tones
– Playing Recorded Tone
– Playing Queuing Tones
– Reporting Estimated Waiting Time
10. Outgoing Call Function
– Support Calls from Multimedia
– Pre Directive Dialer
– Call Reservation
– Outgoing Calls Preview
– Support Enhancement Maintenance Interface
– Outgoing Calls Management
11. Auto Service Function (IVR)
– Playing Tones
– Digit Collecting
– Outgoing Calls
– Database Operations
– Process Reload
– Intelligent Routing
– Switch between Manual Mode and Auto Mode
– Service Process Switch
– Outgoing Calls
– Call Pickup
– Entering/Exiting Working State
– Setting Call Data
– Initiating Navigated Browsing
– Setting Navigated Browsing Parameters
– Pushing Web Page
– Initiating Communication in Words
– Issuing Bulletins
– Sending Notes
12. CTI Platform Quality Inspection
– Data Measurement Displaying
– Listening in/Inspecting
– Forced Sign-out
– Forced Busy State
– Forced Idle State
– Force Release
– Viewing Basic Information of Service Representatives
– Task Management
13. Monitoring Function
– CTI System Monitoring
– Monitoring of Virtual Contact Center
– Monitoring of Network Contact Center
14. Alarm Log
– Alarm Log Management
– Alarm Log Level Management
– Service Development Interface
– WIN32-Based API
– JAVA-Based API
– ActiveX-based Connection Control
– Automatic Service Creation Environment (SCE)
– Automatic Service VXML
– Call Redirection
– External Dynamic Link Library (DLL)
– Enter Any Process Node Directly
– Voice Navigation
– Receive and Send Emails
– Receiving and Send SMS
15. CTI Platform Reliability Function
– Core Server Working in the Hot Backup Mode
– Partial Equipment Operating in the Load Sharing Mode
– Key Database Featuring the Backup and Recovery Mechanism
– Switching System Working in the Active/Standby Mode
– Self-Reparability Function
– Multiple Handling Strategies in the case of the Position Damage
16. Security Function
– ID Authentication
– Access Control
– Data Privacy
17. Bill Function
– Providing Basic Bills of the Contact Center Platform
18. Service Data Management
– Storage of Call Record Data
– Storage of Service Records
– Automatic Data Backup
– Data Dump
19. WECC Function
– Chat in Text
– Click to Dial
– Escorted Browsing
– Callback Request
– Table Sharing
– Flag Synchronization
Fig: Agent status monitoring by using CCS software
20. Statistical Report
- Basic Report Statistic System of Contact
- Call detail record (CDR)
- Report on agent performance
- Call report by service
- Peak-off peak load report
- Attended & unattended calls
- Agent working hours
High end Contact Center Solution Vendors
- Software Cost
- Hardware Cost
- Implementation Cost
- Ongoing Expenditure (Maintenance, upgrades etc.)
- Subscription Cost for Hosted Solutions
- IT Staff Cost
How to Start Business – HCCSP
6.3 How to Start Business – CC
Method of billing
– Per Hour Billing
– Per Minute Billing
- Outbound (telemarketing)
– Commission on Sales
Prices of outsourcing
- American firms with facilities in India: $12 to $18 per hour
- Indian firms with offices in the US: $10 to $14 per hour
- Indian firms with managers who have worked in the US: $12 to $14
- Indian firms with no U.S. presence and all-Indian staff run from $6 to $12 per hour
- Pakistani firms with no managers with western experience: $5 to $8
- Bangladeshi firms start $4 to $10 per hour and try to keep optimum price business.
Data Soucrce: Mr. Zillur rahman, CEO, Softalk (Pvt) Ltd., Prothom Alo Call Center
Investment Opportunity Seminar, May, 2008
A Short Analysis for 20 Seat HCC
General Fixed Cost
Data Source: Some figure are based on current market prices and some are
Huawei Technologies (Bd) Ltd.
Call Center target Groups / Sectors
- Non firm activities
- Market/ Business
- Communication/ Tickets inquiry
- Disaster Management
- Livestock & Fisheries
- Legal support
Call Center Customer: BPO Marketplace
Dependable B2B portals-
- ITMatchOnline (www.itmatchonline.com)
- Outsource360.com (www.outsource360.com)
- OpenOutsource (www.openoutsource.com)
SWOT Analysis of a Call Center
- Available Human Resources
- Better Vocabulary Acceptance
- Geographical Advantage
- Cheaper workforce than their Western counterparts. Wage difference is as high as 70-80 percent when compared to Western counterparts.
- Lower attrition rates than in the West.
- Dedicated workforce aiming at making a long-term career in the field.
- Round-the-clock advantage for Western companies due to the huge time difference.
- Lower response time with efficient and effective service.
- Lack of Experience
- Skilled Manpower shortage
- Late Market Penetration
- The cost of telecom and network infrastructure is much higher in comparison with the US.
- Local infrastructure.
- Political opposition from developed countries.
- Growth of market, trillion dollar market.
- Fresh approach
- Plenty of success example .
- This part of globe is the most favored ITES destination in the world.
- Bangladesh can be branded as a quality ITES destination rather than a low-cost destination.
- Single Backbone Dependency.
- Open access to market.
- New ITES destinations such as China, Philippines and South Africa could have an edge on the cost factor.
- Slowdown of demand.
The prospects of call center industry very new to Bangladesh. Entrepreneurs and Government are trying to keep this business. For this BTRC gave call center licenses to 295 applicants from April 2008 to April 2009. Of these, 69 were provided with hosted call center licenses, while 53 got hosted call center service provider licenses and rest are call center licenses. Only around 29 of the licenses have reportedly managed to establish call center operations. But around 16 nos call center company start their operations till now, hosted call center and hosted call center service provider license holder no company start their business till now. Entrepreneurs don’t start their business successfully for some reasons:
- Most of the licensee does not even know what a call center is?
- Entrepreneurs do not have resources and expertise to run a call center.
- IPLC connection costly and complexity to run business, which must needed for call center.
- Easy and cost effective technology VOIP, government declares restriction to use this technology.
- Banks are not agreed to invest money for new IT business call center.
- BTRC provides license of HCCSP is approximately equal to HCC. Which is the main obligation to start HCCSP and HCC?
- BTRC declare some restriction about licensing policy, “The licensee shall commence operation within 6 months from issuance of the license.”
- Hardware and software cost is high.
- Unavailability of Skilled Human Resources
- Government doesn’t help directly to successfully start this business.
Present scenario of call center
Total 18 Nos call center company successfully start their business and they try to expand business by increasing agents. On market survey it was shown that maximum call center company are happy to setup business and they got more work due to world recessions for low labor cost in our country. On the other hand, Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) official says, most of the licensees have failed to start operations within the stipulated time, which is a breach of contract with the commission. Over 250 call-centre licensees may lose their permits as they failed to start operations within six months. BRTC try to facilitate call center for more successful this business. [Source: The daily star]
Recommendation & Implementation
To overcome problem/challenges of Call Center business we have to face the following challenges, important points are described below:
- I. Skilled Human Resources
- People to Invest
– Entrepreneur with Domain knowledge
- People to Execute
– Skilled & Experienced Project Manager
– Call Center Manager & Supervisor
– Call Agent
- Keep in mind
– A new business idea (Only a limited experience)
– No back-end education support
– No solid and effective planning
- II. Availability of power
- Government should be provided adequate electric power to run call center 24 hrs.
- And should be arrange back up power line of every call center locations to run business uninterrupted.
- III. Government should change their policy
- Easy technology VOIP should be open.
- Reduce taxes of all hardware & software for using call center.
- Govt. declares Digital Bangladesh. So need to invest huge money in this sector.
- IV. The language barrier
- English is required for International Market
- Bangla is required for local market
– We are lagging behind in both sector
- V. The investor crisis
- Concept of Call Centre (not just a phone-in service)
- Lack of information about costing, market, operations and support
- No single forum
- Inadequate perception on infrastructure
- VI. Infrastructure and Info-structure
- Electricity Crisis
- Expensive bandwidth
- Expensive software
- VII. Face value & experience
- We do not have strong background in Software and other market like our neighbouring country
- We do not have a good number of local call centre in the country
— India have Kissan Call Centre and others
— Phillipines and other country also have
- We do not have knowledge workforce (not recognize yet)
- VIII. Merge some of the companies in a single company to have company with 500+ employee for getting large business.
- IX. Content Issue
- Develop database driven content
- Harness the potential of Communities to develop local content.
- Arrange thorough training for outsourced content.
- X. Technology Issue and Open Source
- XI. Challenges in Environment
- Law and order situation
- Some social issues
– We have to run the centre at night for customer at other side of the globe.
– Law and Order situation become vulnerable after the sun sets.
– Females are not welcome to work at night
Bangladesh is resounding with the target of achieving of digital Bangladesh. Our government first declared vision 2021 with the aim to develop Bangladesh into a digital country by that the next decade. A very first step for ‘Digital Bangladesh’ would be to spread the ICT. For this, in this year government declear a big amount of money of ICT sector in budget .
BTRC already change their policy for enterpreneurs to successfully start of call center business. To open VOIP technology they are working heartly and chairman of BTRC ensures very soon it will be open.
Government are trying to make a policy with banks to providing loan of new business call center, also will reduce tax of call center hardware and software. Those steps reflects and will encourage enterpreneur to successfully setup and operate of call center business. If enterpreneur recover some challenges of call center business, hopefully call center business will be successful in our country.
- John Pearce & Richard Robinson: Strategic Management (10th Edition)
- K Mohan Babu : Offshoring It Services, A framework for managing outsource project. (3rd Edition)
- James C. Abbott : Preparing Call Center Metrics. Last edition, May 2009.
- Duane Sharp : Call Center Operation, Design , Operation & maintenance (3rd Edition)
- Call Center Investment Opportunity seminar organized by Prothom Alo Jobs, dated 30th May, 2008
- BTRC seminar on Call Center Legal & Business Issues dated 19th March, 2008.
- 1st Int’l Conf. on BPO and CALL CENTER organized by Softalk Online (Pvt.) Ltd. Dated 5th July, 2008.
- Mr. Redwan, Operation Manager, Call Center, Huawei Tech (BD), Contact Center Business Analysis Workshop, dated 11th June, 2008.
- Guidebook of Aktel, TMIB International. 2008.
- The daily star
- The daily Prothom-alo.